( Latin Name: Cimex lectularius L. )
What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs are insects that, as adults, have oval-shaped bodies with no wings. Prior to feeding, they are about 1/4 inch long and flat as paper. After feeding, they turn dark red and become bloated. Eggs are whitish, pear-shaped and about the size of a pinhead. Clusters of 10-50 eggs can be found in cracks and crevices. Bed bugs have a one-year life span during which time a female can lay 200-400 eggs depending on food supply and temperature. Eggs hatch in about 10 days.
What do bed bugs feed on?
Bed bugs prefer to feed on human blood, but will also bite mammals and birds. Bed bugs bite at night, and will bite all over a human body, especially around the face, neck, upper torso, arms and hands. Bed bugs can survive up to six months without feeding. Both male and female bed bugs bite.
How do bed bugs get into my home?
Bed bugs are often carried into a home on objects such as furniture and clothing. If you think you have a bed bug problem, check for live bed bugs or shells in the following areas:
- Seams, creases, tufts and folds of mattresses and box springs
- Cracks in the bed frame and head board
- Under chairs, couches, beds, dust covers
- Between the cushions of couches and chairs
- Under area rugs and the edges of carpets
- Between the folds of curtains
- In drawers
- Behind baseboards, and around window and door casings
- Behind electrical plates and under loose wallpaper, paintings and posters
- In cracks in plaster
- In telephones, radios, and clocks
- Bed bugs can also travel from apartment to apartment along pipes, electrical wiring and other openings. If the infestation is heavy, a sweet smell may be noticed in the room.
What can I do if I have bed bugs in my home?
The best method to deal with bed bugs is Integrated Pest Management (IPM), which combines a variety of techniques and products that pose the least risk to human health and the environment.Consult with your local health department or a professional Pest Control operator.
What to do while travelling?
- Leave all your belongings at the door or place in bathtub.
- Most hotel rooms headboards can be removed easily; remove from wall and lay it on the bed for inspection. This is important as its where we most often find these bugs in hotels.
- Remove all bed coverings and inspect mattress and box spring, paying close attention to seams of mattress and the plastic corner protectors on the box spring.
- If you find signs of bugs, don’t panic. Bugs in one room DOES NOT mean the whole hotel is infected. Inform the front desk and ask for another room away from your previous room and repeat steps 1 to 4 in your new room.
If It Bugs You . . . Bug Me!
Fredericton Pest Control, Saint John Pest Control and Woodstock Pest Control company owner, Bob Durelle, has over 20 years experience in pest control service and the pest prevention industry. He is fully licensed by the Department of Environment and The Department of Natural Resources as a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator.
Durelle Pest Management offers both residential pest control and commercial pest control services and regular monthly contracts for pest prevention. We cover Fredericton, Saint John, Woodstock and the surrounding areas.